Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk Mani and The Polishing Off PC Winners

Hi all. Sorry, but the beginning of this post is not particularly cheery, mainly because this is a topic that upsets me. I just felt I should warn you beforehand.

The Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk I participated in was this morning, and we ended up having great weather for it. It was amazing how many people turned out for it - there are a lot more people who have been affected by this than you may realize since PC leads to the 4th highest number of cancer deaths in the US. Just to give you a general idea, approximately 6% of people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer survive for five years after the diagnosis, and most people who are in the advanced stages when they are diagnosed lose the battle within a year. When the doctor told my aunt the diagnosis, her response was that he just handed her a death sentence. Unfortunately she was right, and she lost her fight less than 3 months later.

Now for some perspective. According to the information I found here, the 5-year survival rates for breast cancer patients range from 88%-74% when diagnosed in stage 1 or 2, and there is a 15% average 5-year survival rate if diagnosed in stage 4. I want to see the survival rates for pancreatic cancer patients increase to somewhere near those of breast cancer patients. I truly hope that more funding goes toward PC research, so that great strides are made sooner rather than later, and so that we may eventually have a chance at early diagnosis and hopefully a much better chance at beating it. I hope that public awareness of PC increases dramatically, and I hope that more people get involved. If you would like to take up the fight, you can find information for things you can do to help the Lustgarten Foundation here.

Okay, I feel much better having gotten that out! Now, my mani for the event. My main color is Polishing Off PC, a custom color made by the fabulous(!) Pahlish for the raffle, and then for my accent nail I used Zoya Suri to paint a purple ribbon. Zoya Heather is the base for all of my nails.
I can't really describe Polishing Off PC other than to just say GLITTER BOMB! It is a purple jelly incredibly packed with so many colors of glitter. I see purple, fuchsia, turquoise, copper, and gold in all different sizes, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are even more colors than that. It is amazing. My thumb has one coat and the other fingers have two, all topped with one coat of Gelous and one coat of HK Girl. I really could have just used one coat on all of them; the glitter really is so packed that the second coat isn't necessary.

And now that I got the photo out of the way, onto the winners! Each dollar that was donated counted as one ticket, so I entered the donors name that many times on my spreadsheet and then went to random.org to select the order of the winners. Aaaaaaaaaaand the resulting order for the main prizes are:

First choice - RDP & CJP
Second choice - Sue O'Connor
Third choice - Michelle Trabucchi
Fourth choice - Christine Ziegler
Fifth choice - Lisa Fusaro
Sixth choice - Jessica Holzberg
Seventh choice - Diana Caporaso

I know I should have only selected five winners since I just missed the $300 milestone, but I really appreciate your donations and to me you are all winners for supporting the cause.

Oh, yes, how could I forget? There are also the five bonus prizes of one bottle of Polishing Off PC. And the five ladies random.org selected (in a separate generator) for those are Christine Ziegler, Diana Caporaso, Sue O'Connor, Jessica Holzberg, and Lisa Fusaro. I will get those to you with the other prize you select.

At this point, I need each of you to please email me at lifetimesandlacquersoflilmoon@gmail.com so I have your email address, and I will respond with the prizes that are available when it is your turn to choose. I ask that you respond within 24 hours from me sending you the list, otherwise I will have to move onto the next person on the list and will go back to you after everyone else has chosen.

Alas, the first ever Polishing Off Pancreatic Cancer raffle has now come to a close. I learned a lot from organizing it, and next year I hope to make it even better. Thank you all so much for participating, and I hope you all enjoy your prizes!

~Jaclyn


*Note: Polishing Off PC is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment